When pumpkins are in season, their sweetness are absolutely perfect for making desserts.
Did I mention I made pumpkins out of pumpkins?
These mini pumpkin rice cakes are a great dim sum treat in Shanghai cuisine.
So delicate, chewy and soft; filled with red bean paste and steamed in bamboo steamer.
You may choose not to put any filling, and will basically taste similar to tong yuen (glutinous rice dumpling).
I also used a handful of goji berries to replace raisins for the top.
Likewise, please adjust the sugar content depending on the sweetness of the pumpkin your using.
Mine is a Japanese pumpkin, so adding a little natural sweetener is so good already.
This post is linked to Cook and Celebrate: Christmas 2015 organised by Yen from GoodyFoodies Diana from Domestic Goddess Wannabe and Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids.
This post is part of the monthly link up party Our Growing Edge. This event aims to connect food bloggers and inspire us to try new things. This month is hosted by Jazz at Dash of Jazz.
Adapted from beanpanda
70g glutinous rice flour
20g wheat starch
1 tsp Natvia
3 tbsp water, or more
16 goji berries
Red bean paste for filling, optional
How to make mini pumpkin mochi:
- Ready a bamboo steamer. Chop pumpkin into big chunks and place on steaming plate. Steam for 15-20 minutes or until soft.
- Scape out the flesh to remove the skin, mash thoroughly with a fork or potato masher. Let it set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, prepare parchment papers with the size of 5 x 5 cm.
- In a large bowl, combine glutinous rice flour, wheat starch and Natvia. Add pumpkin puree and knead until the mixture is crumbly.
- Slowly add in water, 1 tbsp at a time. Knead until a smooth dough form. If the dough it too dry, add a little more water. Roll the dough into a log and divide into equal portions.
- Take a portion, flatten slightly and place 1 teaspoon of red bean paste in the middle. Wrap and shape into an oval ball. Repeat with the rest of the ingredients.
- Using the back of a butter knife, mark 6 indentations and insert a goji berry on top of each ball to from mini pumpkin.
- Arrange them on parchment paper and place in a bamboo steamer, leaving space in between.
- Steam over high heat for about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- To store, refrigerate for 2-3 days. Re-steam before serving.
With all my love <3