Jam tartlets have been on my to-make-list for long. I really like the combination of fruity jams with buttery crust, especially when the jam appears gluey sticky after baking. You know what I mean!
So often I am afraid of making the tart base because I don't have the patience to perfect them.
But look at the rim! They look perfect! ALMOST!
This recipe uses a pastry crust known as pate sucree. Which is similar to pastry dough, but further enriched with egg yolk and sugar. I find this makes the perfect crust not only because it has less sugar, but the yolk also makes the dough pliable and easier to handle.
This post is part of the weekly linky party I'm Lovin' It hosted by Cheryl at TidyMom.
For the pate sucree
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
3 tbsps Natvia
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold salted butter
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp ice water
For the fillings and toppings
Your favourite jams
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 tbsp powdered sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
How to make jam tartlets:
- To make the pate sucree: In a bowl combine flour and Natvia. Cut butter cubes using a fork or pastry blender until dough resembles coarse crumbs. Beat egg yolk and water. Slowly add to the flour mixture until a dough comes together. You may not need all the liquid. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and roll into a disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. This pate sucree dough can be stored in the freezer for 2 months.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Remove the dough onto a floured surface, roll into best fit circles to the tart tins. Remove any excess from the rim.
- Using a star shaped cookie cutter, cut out little stars from the dough scraps.
- Fill each tart with jams. Transfer tins and starts onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove the stars when they turn golden brown. Continue to bake the tarts for another 20 minutes, or until set and edges turn golden brown.
- Allow the tart to cool complete. Meanwhile, combine heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla. Whip until stiff peaks form.
- To serve, dollop with sweetened whipped cream and top with star cookie.
With all my love <3