Crepe is a thin French pancake.
The French often serve them with sweet fillings such as fruits, custard and cream; or sometimes savoury versions known as galette, with egg, cheese and ham.
Whilst Mille Crepe is composed of numerous layers of crepe being stacked together with custard or cream in different flavors. It is a very popular patisserie in New York, particularly from the brand Lady M!
Can you see those 18 layers of crepe! Stunning!
This recipe is super easy to whip up in fact. Treat it as a completely lump free pancake batter. Toasty, moist and set together with a matcha flavored custard. I also topped this individual serving crepe cake with some whipped cream for a creamy contrast!
This post is also linked to the event, Little Thumbs up organised by Doreen from my little favourite DIY and Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids, hosted by Grace from Life can be simple at this post.
Make 4 2" mini cakes
Adapted from OH HOW CIVILIZED
For the crepes
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp Natvia
1/4 tsp salt
2 egg, beaten
2 cup whole milk
4 tbsp vegetable oil, more for frying
For the matcha pastry cream
1 pastry cream recipe
1 tbsp matcha powder
1 tbsp hot water
1 tbsp Natvia
1 tsp Honey (from Honey 蜜蜜針)
1/2 cup heavy cream
How to make crepe:
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, Natvia and salt. Add milk, beaten egg, vegetable oil and whisk until smooth, with no lumps.
- Dab a paper towel with vegetable oil and grease a nonstick skillet. Ladle a serving of crepe batter and swirl to cover the bottom of the pan completely. Let it cook until dry and edges begin to turn brown. Quickly flip over and cook for 30 seconds.
- Transfer the crepe to a plate to cool. Repeat with the rest of the batter.
How to make matcha pastry cream:
- Prepare pastry cream and keep in the fridge until ready to use.
- In a bowl, mix together matcha powder and hot water. Add in Natvia and honey. Mix well.
- Remove pastry cream from the fridge and combine with matcha mixture.
How to assemble and make matcha crepe cake:
- Using a 2" cookie cutter, cut out circles from crepes. Place a mini crepe in 2" cake tin, spread a teaspoon of matcha pastry cream and cover with another crepe. Repeat the layers, leaving the top layer without cream.
- Place in the fridge to chill. When serve, dollop whipped cream and dust generously with matcha powder and powdered sugar.
With all my love <3