Homemade lemon curd for my homemade lemon meringue tart! Invest in good lemon because it will solely change the flavor of your lemon curd.
The tanginess from the lemon , sweetness from the natural honey, and butteriness from the shortcrust. This tart is made to heaven!
Can you imagine how long it took me to whip up the glossy meringue?
In this recipe, I am using Archibald's honey from Honey 蜜蜜針! Check out more at their FaceBook Page! Or you may want to replace it with sugar and adjust the level of sweetness.
Adapted from beanpanda
For lemon curd:
80ml lemon juice (approximately 2 lemons)
zest of 1 lemon
60g cold butter
2 tbsp ice water
1 shortcrust pastry
For meringue topping:
Adapted from Martha Stewart
2 egg whites
pinch of cream of tartar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
How to make lemon curd:
- To make lemon curd, combine egg, lemon juice, lemon zest and honey in a bowl. Heat the mixture over a double boiler. Whisk constantly until thicken, this takes around 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from heat, add in cold butter and whisk to smooth. Pour over a fine sieve to remove lumps and keep in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
How to make meringue topping:
- Whisk egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add granulated sugar and whisk until glossy and stiff peaks formed. Whisk in vanilla until just combined.
How to make lemon meringue pie:
- Preheat oven to 200C. Remove the dough and roll onto a floured surface. Using a round biscuit cutter, cut out small circles and fit in tart tin. Trim the edges and place in the fridge to chill. Fill chilled tart shells with pie weight and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove pie weight and bake for another 15 minutes, until golden brown. Carefully remove the tart shell and cool completely.
- Fill tart shells with lemon curd. Pipe meringue topping and chill in the freezer until ready to serve.
- When serve, use a kitchen torch to toast the meringue. Alternatively, place under preheated broiler for 2 minutes to brown.
With all my love <3