It is challenging to achieve a considerable sweetness when it comes to a sugar free recipe. I have came across recipe using honey, agave nectar, stevia, or maple syrup. But all these are seemingly a "healthier" name for SUGAR. Now fruits are natural sugar. With the addition of spices together with applesauce and raisins, these cookies are still good enough to fulfill a light sweet tooth.
Don't expect them to taste like cookies you'd get at the bakery, but still are soft and chewy, and somehow cakey. I also find golden raisins are sweeter than regular purple ones.
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional
How to make sugar free oatmeal raisin cookies:
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a large mixing bowl, add applesauce, eggs, vanilla. Whisk until combined. Add in dry ingredients and stir well.
- Using a spatula, fold in rolled oats, golden raisins and chopped nuts, if using. Drop teaspoon of batter onto prepared baking sheet, spacing apart.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
With all my love <3