Recently, chiffon cakes have been a popular request at home, simply because those fluffy airy cake can melt in mouth in just a second. Since there are so many flavors of chiffon cakes from fruits to tea, I infused Oolong Tea, a traditional Chinese tea, to my go-to chiffon cake recipe which I also used to make my green tea chiffon cake. I also added cream of tartar to stabilize my egg white batter.And WATCH OUT for the aroma of Oolong! It is so wonderful!
To serve my Oolong chiffon cupcakes, I topped them with a basic sweetened whipped cream to balance out the tea flavor, but this is optional.
Make 6 muffin-size cakes
3 egg yolks
3 oz / 85g sugar
3 tbsp oil
4 tbsp oolong tea
2.6 oz / 75g cake flour
1 tbsp oolong tea leaves (1 tea bag)
1 tsp baking powder
3 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
How to make oolong chiffon cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 170C.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks and 1/3 of sugar. Add oil and water, mix well.
- Sift cake flour, oolong tea leaves and baking powder and add to egg yolk mixture. Whisk until incorporated without lumps.
- Using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer, beat egg whites till opaque and foamy. Add cream of tartar and remaining sugar, beat until stiff peak forms.
- In 3 batches, fold egg whites into egg yolk mixture. Make sure mixture is mixed well in 3 increments.
- Divide batter evenly among paper muffin cups. Tab on the countertop to release air bubbles.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centre comes out clean.
- Cool the cake upside down on wire rack. Serve chill if desired.
How to make sweetened whipped cream:
- Pour cream into chilled bowl and add sugar and vanilla. Beat cream to desired consistency, either soft peak or stiff peak. Top on chiffon cake and enjoy.
With all my love <3