Chocolate mocha chiffon cake! What can be better than this?
Look at those air pocket hiding in the layers! They are what make this chiffon cake so fluffy, light and souffle-like. I used decaffeinated coffee granules in this recipe to make it more kid-friendly, but espresso would be better for your mocha morning!
This post is part of the monthly link up party Our Growing Edge. This event aims to connect food bloggers and inspire us to try new things. This month is hosted by Corina at Searching For Spice.
Make 7 inches cake
3 egg yolks
3 tbsp oil
4 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2g coffee granules
75g cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp cocoa powder
3 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
How to make chocolate mocha chiffon cake:
- Preheat oven to 170C.
- Heat milk in microwave oven for 30 seconds, dissolves coffee granules and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks and 1/3 of sugar. Add oil, coffee milk mixture and vanilla extract, mix well.
- Sift cake flour, baking powder and cocoa powder through a fine sieve and add to egg yolk mixture. Whisk until incorporated without lumps.
- Using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer, beat egg whites till opaque and foamy. Add remaining sugar and cream of tartar. Beat until stiff peak forms.
- In 3 batches, fold egg whites into egg yolk mixture. Make sure mixture is mixed well in 3 increments.
- Pour mixture into ungreased chiffon cake pan. Tab the pan on the countertop to release air bubbles.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centre comes out clean.
- Cool the cake upside down on a tall heavy bottle. Leave to cool completely before removing the cake pan.
- Using an offset spatula or sharp knife, run it around the cake. Invert and flip onto serving plate.
With all my love <3